Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Can you say 'splint'?

So all of our sick day fun (if you can call it that) took a not-so-enjoyably-relaxing turn last night when Sammers decided to climb the cabinets while I read with Avery. He fell and must have hit his knee pretty hard on the tile. After a couple of hours and him still not willing to put any weight on his left leg, we took him in for x-rays. There were differing opinions from the radioligists and doctors, so we are now dealing with a possible fracture of the growth plate under the femur. Kind of a wait and see how bad it is in a couple of days when the swelling goes down thing. If he's still not bearing any wieght after a couple of days of immobilization, we'll see the orthopoedic specialist. When they put the splint on we were trying to explain what was happening and we were teaching him the word "splint". We tried to get him to say it, and he said "I tan't". So, here's a pic of him with his "big bandaid" and of course his famous camera smile! So, here's to a couple of days of packing around the little guy and trying to keep him occupied since he can't stand or walk on it. Wish me luck!





(Scroll down to pause the music before you play the videos) On a happier note, the girls are both feeling better and went back to school today. They were excited to celebrate their school's 115th birthday. They had a birthday program and it was seriously impressive! I feel so blessed to have such an amazing school with such a great heritage for my kiddos to attend. They showed a video made by a seriously devoted computers teacher showing the history of the school through each decade including old pics, interviews with alumni, etc. So cool! Their school is the oldest continuously running school in the state. The girls each got to sing- Avery's class did songs from the WWII era. (excuse the cinematography- standing room only in the gym with an injured 2 year old in my other arm) It's so cool that they are being taught to take pride in their school and heritage in a world where those things aren't really taught anymore. We love our school!

3 comments:

Jen K. said...

Love the videos! Poor Sam...let me know what I can do to help. We hope the big bandaid can just come off soon whith no other Dr. visits to deal with!

Jenny said...

Ahhh! They are so cute! I love Parker's pigtails! I can't believe she's in kindergarten- right?!

And poor little Sam. I hope he feels better- he sure looks cute and happy with his splint!

We need to come see you and your cute kids soon! We miss you.

The Austad Family said...

Poor Sambo. That must have hurt. He and Lauren are just alike. Climbing monkeys! I hope he feels better soon and it's not too serious.

CUTE videos!