Sunday, February 15, 2009

Recession is Real



Sometimes the problems of the world or country or town, seem distant. You think "Wow, that would be hard, I should prepare myself". But in the back of your mind there's always the "It won't happen to me". Well, it can.

Friday I pulled into the driveway to find Matt's truck. Great! He's home a little early! As we walked to the kitchen door he met us. I asked him what he was doing home so early. He then gave me the news. Out of nowhere, no warning signs, nothing- "I was laid off". Shock. Total disbelief. I told him he was joking and he had to repeat himself. You see, a couple of months ago his company told him that if the economic troubles hit the company, they would be looking at his department for layoffs. So, watch your employees, they said. Your job is safe, they said. They even encouraged us to buy the house saying they saw it as Matt investing in their company. Wednesday we made our first house payment. Friday we no longer have an income.

We talked to the kids about things that may have to be sacrificed and ways they could help. The next day we found the list pictured above on the desk. Avery has since added to it: ice cream maker, art maker, painter.

So, here we are. New house, no job, and not a whole lot of options. So, please, keep your ear out for any job openings. Anything- we're not proud or picky. And please pray for us. We know that in the end, everything will work out okay, but we could use all the help we can get! We're just thankful that we hadn't bought that new fridge or put any money down on the new driveway yet. We'll live with the big white fridge and the muddy driveway for a while!

7 comments:

Ben and Eirene said...

Guys! Our thoughts and prayers are with you. We are so sorry about what has happened. It was a jarring reality check for us as well. It made us realize how much better prepared we need to be for whatever may happen. We love you, and are thinking of you.

p.s. If Matt does get into the Barbie designing industry, maybe he could do something about Barbie's flagrant modesty problem. Food for thought.

The Green Family said...

What a shocker!! We are thinking of you. Hopefully a job can be found locally so you don't have to leave us again...

Leslie said...

I love Avery's list!! Our thoughts and prayers are with you--we'll be on the lookout.

Dave said...

Matt and crew,
I know the feeling(s)! So sorry. CC has great way of doing that. I'll let you know of anything I hear about. Be positive, things work out. You can car pool with me to Ogden. Call 8012306699

Kate and Wiley said...

We are so sorry to hear that Matt is out of a job. We are keeping your family in our prayers and we hope you find something soon!

The Austad Family said...

I am so sorry Tessa. Wow, that is such hard news to hear. I was laid off a few years ago and Tom was laid off as well two years ago. I totally remember him coming home and telling me the news. Definitely a hard thing for a husband to tell his wife. Our prayers are with you that you'll find something quickly...

Jenny said...

I am so sorry Matt and Tessa! We will definitely keep you in our prayers. Matt is so talented. I know the Lord will bless you guys and watch out for you. You two are raising the most beautiful family and we look up to you so much!