Ok, I've been on a soup frenzy lately, but I promise this is the last soup post (for awhile anyway!). This one is kinda gourmet (atleast for me), but has delicious flavor for adults and kids alike (if you can get them past the greyish color!). We like to eat it with warm, thick slices of homemade french bread.
Creamy Wild Rice Soup
4 C water
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 C uncooked wild rice
Bring water and salt to a boil in a large saucepan. Add rice and reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 50-55 minutes or until tender. Let stand 10 min., drain and set aside.
1/4 C shredded carrot
3 Tbsp chopped pecans (strange I know- but they make this soup!)
6 Tbsp. butter or margerine
1/3 C flour
2 cans chicken or vegetable broth
1/2 C diced, cooked ham
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 C half and half
In a dutch oven or soup pot, saute carrots and pecans in butter for 1-2 min. Stir in flour and gradually add broth. Bring to boil, and stir for 2 min. or until thickened. Reduce heat. Add ham, pepper and drained wild rice. Cover and simmer for 5 min. until carrots are tender. Reduce heat. Add cream and heat through (do not boil!).
Still hungry for more soup? My friend Jenny at simplelifelove.com has a really awesome pumpkin soup recipe. Just browse through her old posts, or click on her FOOD tab in the top left corner. I've eaten it once at their halloween party a few years back and still drool thinking about it!
1 comment:
Yum! This one sounds really good. And healthy. I wonder what I could substitute the ham with... maybe mushrooms or salmon? Thanks for mentioning the pumpkin soup recipe too!
Post a Comment